Jamaica - Cuba - Costa Rica


Translate

Tuesday 20 January 2015

From rafting on the kiulu river to Ape volunteering

Booked my tour at center point with Borneo tours for 110 rm. A brand-new private car drove us from KK to the river. The rafting I found too easy, having done level 3....4 before, but great fun for newbies,although a lot of time went to swimming. Some people did not secure themselves so the same people kept on falling over board over and over again, but that should n ot have been necessary at all. I have to remember a next time go for the graduate level again.

Lunch was terrific. We were back at 15.00.

Our driver Louis mentioned having a homestay at the river 3 km from the rafting ending point. He is a nice honest man speaking English good. Room 45 RM pr night. He can pick you up in KK for 80rm. You can call him on +66 10 516 5327.
the area has beautiful secondary jungle with mountains and sometimes great views.

Tomorrow I fly to sandakan, north coast, where I will meet the other volunteers. The day after we will go by boat to stay with the River People at a 600 km long river from Sepilok. I expect from then not to have internet until Saturday evening 11 days later, but if necessary you cAn reach me on my Malaysian or Norwegian phone number.... if I have reception.


The longer I am in Malaysia, the more I feel it being ridiculous going to plant trees in the jungle while the government continues cutting jungletrees to fill their pockets through their private companies. And not only that I now know very well how much 500 rm, 120 EUR per day is that I pay as a volunteer. I look forward hearing from them how the island is spent. Feedback from Malaysians is that they ought the locals there were planting the trees as well as that they think it is strange that working volunteers have to pay for that, they mean we should get paid.

The trees are for the orang utans habitat, because that is diminishing very fast by oil Palm trees plantations after the jungle is cut down.

No comments:

Post a Comment